Philadelphia and New York
Intern (Graduate Development Program)
To gain a full overview of Aberdeen's operations by working 10 weeks in one of several departments (i.e., Fixed Income, Equities, Property, Aberdeen Solutions, Business Development, Product Management, Compliance, Legal, Marketing). Interns will have the opportunity to learn and develop through on the job training, projects, and by attending presentations by leaders of each department associated with our Graduate Development Program.
After the internship, interns will have the opportunity to be considered for our Graduate Development Program as a Graduate Business Analyst (GBA). The GBA program includes working (4-6) 4 month rotations through Aberdeen departments both in the Philadelphia office and internationally.
- Analyze companies and contribute to discussions regarding High Yield, High Grade, and derivative strategies; provide support as needed to Senior Research Analyst Teams
- Generate some investment recommendations and relative value analysis
- Keep detailed records supporting investment recommendations made
- Perform fundamental credit analysis including financial modeling; maintain coverage of assigned names on regular basis including quarterly and annual financial updates
- Perform basic capital structure analysis including analysis of covenant framework and loan documents
- Perform specialized compliance exams based on regulatory requirements, firm policies, contractual obligations and risk factors
- Review department documentation and observe procedures to ensure that transactions and practices/procedures are compliant with the firm’s Compliance Program and regulatory requirements
- Participate in trade surveillance and investment guideline monitoring program
- Review and test employee personal and producing a report of such activities for certain internal committees
- Review Gifts & Entertainment log and producing a report of such activities for certain internal committees
- Track receipt of Initial, Quarterly and Annual Certifications
- Review mutual fund, closed-end fund and institutional marketing material for accuracy and compliance with regulatory and GIPS requirements. Includes assessment of performance charts, citations, etc
- Complete questionnaire and review of periodic mutual fund questionnaires, client due diligence requests, and related matters both independently and in conjunction with other departments
- Review and develop compliance processes, policies, and procedures to demonstrate that the firm has appropriate internal controls; support data requests for Internal Marketing Staff (RFP Team, Creative Services Team, Consultant Relations and Institutional Sales)
- Aid the Team with audit of all database entries for N. American databases including performance, characteristics, personnel, and asset narratives; respond to quarterly and monthly client/consultant updates and questionnaires
- Assist with responses to consultant searches and ad hoc requests
- Support with maintenance of historical and current data (relates to performance, characteristics, assets and personnel)
Qualifications and Expereince Required: (Inclusing Education, Experience, and Skills)
- University student in Junior year working towards a 4 year degree, preferably in Business Management, Finance, Economics, Marketing and/or Accounting fields of study
- Strong financial modeling and excel skills are preferred, but not required
- Applicant should be a self-starter, possess an ability to be a contributing member to a team, have strong organizational skills to manage projects to completion, and demonstrate the ability to solve complex problems
- Knowledge and familiarity with Access and Word
- Strong written and oral communications skills
Conditions of Work: (Note any travel requirements or overtime requirements)
- Minimal or no travel expected
- 0-5 hours of overtime expected
While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary.
Should you wish to apply for this role, please email the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching a copy of your CV with a covering letter explaining why you wish to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Aberdeen Asset Management PLC. If you have applied in response to this specific vacancy, the HR representative co-ordinating the recruitment process for this role will be in touch with you in due course.